Skip to main content

You are a winner!


How do you define winning? 
Coming in first or succeeding better than everyone else? 

Although there may be a universal definition of winning that often relates to sporting event or competitions, we shouldn't forget that winning can apply to many of life's amazing experiences and challenging events. 

It's very easy to find yourself in a place in life and feeling a bit down on yourself. Comparing yourself to others who have it better than you or perhaps feeling as if nothing goes your way or the odds are always against you. And even if you find that glimmer of truth that you are in a good place to succeed, it only takes a quick moment to find yourself doubting the progress you have made. 

I have a quote on my refrigerator which I have kept with me over the past decade or so since my parents gave it to me from the local Newspaper. I am surprised it has survived many moves over the past few years but perhaps that is because it is very special to me. 

My parents never pushed me in sports or career to be the best but instead, to be happy and to try my best. Ever time I wanted to quit something, my always dad knew the right thing to say to keep me going and to make me smile. He was the first person I would call if I needed an instant pick-me up. I was never taught that success was always being better than others but instead, that being successful means doing something that you have never done before or doing something better than you did last time. 

No matter what task lies ahead of you or what challenge you face, are you going to work your hardest to be a winner?
I sure hope so.

Winners Take Chances
Winners take chances. Like everyone else they fear failing, but they refuse to let fear control them.
Winners don't give up. When life gets tough they hang in until the going gets better. 
Winners are flexible. They realize there is more than one way and are willing to try others.
Winners know they are not perfect. They respect their weaknesses while making the most of their strengths.
Winners fall, but they don't stay down.
They stubbornly refuse to let a fall keep them from climbing.
Winners don't blame fate for their futures, nor luck for their successes.
Winners accept responsibility for their lives.
Winners are positive thinkers who see good in all things.
From the ordinary, they make the extraordinary.
Winners believe in the path they have chosen even when it's hard even when other's can't see where they are going.
Winners are patient. 
They know a goal is only as worthy as the effort that's required to achieve it.
Winners are people like you.
They make this world a better place.   

-Nancye Sims