Skip to main content

70.5

That's how many hours I have left of interning for my clinical rotation. I anticipated 3 more weeks of interning for a total of 9 weeks for my acute care rotation but the hours are clicking on by!
Since I have been at St. Vincent's I have averaged around 9-9 1/2 hours a day. Over the past 2 weeks I have put in several 10 hour days. And believe it or not, the dietitians come in before me and leave after me. It's a lot of work to be a clinical nutrition and a lot work once you are one!
I can't believe how time is passing and the way things are going, it looks like I only have 2 weeks left of this rotation!!! WOW. I will finish my internship with 128 hours of staff relief and I am fairly certain that I won't be putting in less than 9 hours a day.

At first I was not doing very well with the 9-10 hour days of interning. I have been completely exhausted and overwhelmed with my non-stop life of interning. But this week was a step up in my learning curve. I went from seeing 3-4 patients a day to seeing 8 patients a day! I can't believe how much more confident I feel in the hospital. So, I guess this learning experience comes with a price but a price that I want to pay. If I was watching the clock and sticking to 8-hours a day of interning, I probably wouldn't be where I am right now, at this point in my internship.

My day includes giving nutrition education's (ex. heart failure, weight loss), doing length of stay screenings, doing nutrition assessments and doing nutrition follow-ups. I see tube feeding patients, patients in the Long Term Care vent unit, patients with heart failure, patients with HIV/AIDs, and well, you name it..I probably have seen it.

I never would have thought it would take this much work to be a Registered Dietitian. I think nutrition is a passion for many people but not many people take the necessary steps to receive the RD behind their name. Nutrition is a sticky topic because many people dish advice and love all-things related to nutrition, but only people with a "RD" behind their name are legally allowed to give advice and treat individuals. Just like myself in the past few years, there are many people that bend the rules and write books, create websites/blogs and even create companies dedicated to nutrition and helping others reach weight-related goals. I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I wanted to be a dietitian but this has been a life-changing experience. This 3-year journey has been tough and as I near the end of this amazing learning experience, I can't wait to share all this knowledge with the world and put my soon-to-be "RD" credential to good use. There are a lot of personalities out there that pretend to be RD's but call themselves "nutritionists" and I am so proud that I will one day (very soon) be part of an amazing group of licensed Registered Dietitian's.

You better believe I have worked HARD for those two letters!!

Thanks for reading and for supporting me.