Skip to main content

It's almost December!

I can't believe we are 1 day away from December. How time flies.
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday which started on Thursday.
Karel and I started our morning with a 80 mile bike ride. It started off ok, it got better and then it finished miserably. The Sumbal ride was just for fun and to enjoy the outdoors but my idea of a 4 hour or 80 mile ride (whichever came first) wasn't so much fun when we approached the dreaded Jacksonville wind.
I have to admit that I have the most wonderful husband ever. After 50 miles we made a left hand turn into strong head wind. We had 30 miles to go and Karel pulled me all the way home. We were going a blistering 16 mph for that section of the ride and with my head down I just stayed calm (can't beat the wind) and stayed close to Karel's wheel. He was a real trooper for riding so slow with me but I just couldn't go any faster. After 4 hours and 15 minutes we were finished with 80 miles and it was time to relax with a whey smoothie and prepare my fruit pizza for Thanksgiving dinner at Laura's.
Laura had an amazing spread of food and it was all soooo yummy. With over 20 people at her house, I felt like I was at home with so many people around. I just love families!
I first have to congratulate Laura on a 7 minute PR from her last 1/2 marathon a month ago. I have been coaching Laura for 6 weeks and besides that fact that she is super busy with work and everything else she does, she has Lupus and beats it every day with her athletic talent. Congrats Laura on a sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon (1:56)!!!
Laura made me a fantastic vegan tofu quiche, alongside her butternut squash soup, sweet potatoes, my fruit salad and a fruit jello mold (all Marni-friendly) that were at the dinner. There were lots more foods but those were for the meat-eaters. Campy decided that Thanksgiving is his favorite holiday and is curious why he can't eat meals like this every day of the year? I told him that we all wish that we could eat like we do on Thanksgiving everyday of the year, but then we wouldn't be so healthy :)
Karel worked on Friday for the big Trek sale and later that evening we were off to New Port Richey to visit my parents.
As you know, Karel and I love visiting my parents for many reasons but our 3 favorites are 1) being with my parents 2) seeing the Gearlink cycling team 3) letting Campy enjoy a house and backyard.
We joined the Gearlinkers for a casual 50 mile ride...a cold one that is. It was in the mid 40's on Sat morning so we made sure we bundled up. It was great to catch up and like always, it feels like we never left.
After the ride we went to Chef Nelson's bakery to pick up our free 1 year anniversary cake. Chef Nelson made our healthy wedding cake back in Oct 2008 and he said that for our 1 year anniversary we could get a free mini cake. We thought Thanksgiving would be a good time to get the cake and it was so nice that we were able to share the cake with my family and remember our wedding..and to celebrate 1 year!
There has been a lot of relaxing this weekend. Karel and I watched Breaking away for the millionth time (if you haven't seen it, rent it!) and Campy has gotten in a million naps here. We had a great Thankgiving dinner with my family on sat evening and the weather has been just perfect for lots of Campy runs. This morning I went for a long run and easy spin on the bike and just enjoyed seeing so many people outdoors and enjoying the beautiful weekend.
Enjoy the pics!
(every pic of Campy is him receiving Turkey from generous Turkey carvers :) )