Skip to main content

Interval Tuesday...RACE WEEK!

Mon was a busy day. I slept in until 7am (after getting back to our place at 11:30pm!!!) and had a zillion school assignments to turn in. The day quickly started at 10:30am with observing my food service facility for school and then before I knew it, with grocery shopping, errands and more work, it was time for dinner! I made a nice salad w/ apples and I cooked some veggies (mushrooms, string green beans, onions, corn) and added my veggie burger meat. I poured in 1/2 can of organic garlic tomato sauce after the veggies were cooked and I had 1/2 of a whole wheat sub w/ the veggie mixture. Yum.
Karel was super tired last night and totally exhausted. I am not suprised with his lack of energy after 4 days of racing. There really isn't anything magical that he (or we) do after races when it comes to nutrition. I take fish oil capsules (1-2) on a daily basis and Karel tries to have some type of fish the night after a hard race/training. Karel lives by his Optygen but for both of us, we love our aminos (Base nutrition by Chris lieto). The Amino Vital Pro didn't work for Karel. He said his stomach was a little upset with the sugars from the AV. I agree that it is a sweet drink so try it out before using. I haven't heard from anyone that they can't tolerate the base nutrition aminos and if anything, they mix really well with our HEED. Since we were in a hotel for 4 days in GA I did my research and we stayed at an Extended Stay. Although a micrwave and a mini 'fridge are great for 1-2 night stays, food gets a little borning if it can only be refrigerated and then microwaved. We had a stove, a medium size 'fridge, a coffee maker (that didn't work very well..errr) and a microwave. We spent $60 at Publix and only ate out once. We filled our fridge w/ coffee (freezer), natural PB, low-sugar Jelly, Sugar free Syrup, cheese, deli meat, eggs, soy milk, yogurt, berries, bananas, tuna and strawberries. We also had lots of oatmeal, bread and soup. Karel made his raisin bran muffins before we left so we had great food for the road. We never let ourselves get hungry or try to eat our money's worth. We knew exactly what we were eating and it was nice to be able to have a kitchen with a sink and everything else we needed. This is the way to go if you are traveling for a race for a couple days. I think the key to being able to race for days (or train hard) is to ensure that you are getting good protein in the body. It is easy to find good sources of carbs (bread, bagels, fruits, veggies, potatos) when eating out but lean and low fat protein is often compromised when eating on the road. Well, I know for me as a vegetarian it is hard for me to even get 30grams of protein when eating on the raod. I had 90 calorie yogurts with me for after my races and I always had a PB&J sandwich with me for Karel's races.

I have a sprint race on sat at Ft. Desoto and I can't wait to see all my triathlon friends! Karel and I are heading to my parents on thurs evening after he gets off work due to lots of wedding stuff. I know, hard stuff like cake tasting, finding Karel's attire for the wedding and then of course, he is super excited to ride with the Gearlinkers and ride the hills of san antonio. I will be staying until wed and Karel heads back on sun. Looks like a fun weekend for both of us.

So, now that tuesday is here it is time for another interval tuesday workout.
10 min warm-up at 7.4mph
5 x 40 sec. at 8.5 mph w/ 20 sec recovery
Main set 2x:
.5 mile at 8.9 mph w/ 2 min recovery
2 x .25 mile at 9.3 mph w/ .15mi recovery
5 x 40 sec. at 8.5 mph w/ 20 sec recovery
Total: 45 min. 6.5 miles (I think...I was anxious to get off that treadmill!!)


I did a few weights and core exercises and headed to the pool. I don't think I am getting any faster in the pool and I blame that on myself for not swimming with anyone and for not swimming more than 2500 yards a day. I think I will start swimming with one of the master teams.

500 warm-up
4 x 200 w. 10 sec. rest
3 x 150 w. 10 sec. rest
2 x 125 w. 10 sec rest
1 x 100
After each set I did a 50 butterfly kick.

Total w/ warm-down: 2400