Skip to main content

Interval tuesday....AND....Workouts!

Ok, so I'm not all about sports nutrition and Karel. Even though those are two of my loves in life :)

Training has been tough but good. Tough as in, I am sore, tired and moving slow. But good as I am loving every second of it....until I have to walk up 3 flights of stairs with my bike after a long bike ride just to get into my apartment.

Fri morning I did a nice 30 mile ride on my tri bike. After the ride I went to the pool for a good 2000 swim of fast 100's and 50's. Trying to get my swim pace a bit faster for an upcoming Olympic distance in the end of August.
Sat morning I headed out for my long run at around 7am. I think I made it until 7:15am before I was covered in sweat. My M-dot hat has to be deeply cleaned after my sat morning runs because it is hot, hot, hot here in Jacksonville, FL. I ran for 1:48 and covered a lot of ground. 13.2 miles of it. Not too shabby for a long run (mileage and time) but I am still moving my way up. Moving up for what? Not sure. My marathon isn't until Dec. but I just love seeing my body get a little stronger every week. I had to stop at the Trek store on the way home because I was SO thirsty and my fuel belt was done. I aways carry a gel with me but I have been good with just my two flasks of water + aminos and Heed. Now, if I was running a race I would absolutely want more fluid and on sat morning..oh did I need it! I filled up my flasks with water at the Trek store and the guys working were nice but I'm sure I looked just awful. Semi-depleted, sweaty and with only 1.3 miles to go, I was in la-la land and in need of fluids.
I made my way home and quickly grabbed my bike. Out the door for my favorite workout ever...my post-run spin on my tri bike. Oh, it feels so good to just spin my legs at 15 mph. I usually ride my run route to give me around 45 min of spinning my legs. Althought riding my bike after a long run is the last thing I want to do when I am standing in my air-conditioned apartment, it is always nice to have loose legs after the run-ride.
I wasn't able to rest much on sat because I had 3 assignments due on mon for school and a mid-term. I studied all day and then watched a movie with Karel once he got off work.

Sunday was a long ride with Karel and it ended up being me and Curtis, Jeff and Karel (Linder capital riders) for 35 miles of my ride. It was great just sitting on their wheels and since Jeff (karel's boss) just got back from Trek bike tour in Europe, Karel was enjoying listening to Jeff's stories of beer, food and riding in beautiful Czech. I made my turn home around 35 miles while the rest of the guys headed straight to give them 90 miles. For me, well I planned on doing 50 but I didn't realize how far out we were, so I ended up with 65 miles. No time to run, it was around 10 and I needed to start my studying. That's school for ya...a big reason why I am not doing an Ironman this year. Studying for school is one thing that you can't crame and same goes for long training. You miss one day of what you are suppose (school or training) to do and you feel the negative affects later on (exam or race).
That evening Karel and I went to the Cheesecake factory..one of my favorite "fine-dining" restaurants :), Second to Outback, the Cheesecake factory is upscale for me :) We met another couple (Chris and Sara) at my talk and invited them to come with us. It was nice to get to know another couple but with 4 athletes at the table (Sara is a runner, Chris does motorcross) we went through a few bread baskets and most of the talk was on nutrition :) Appropriate place right??...Don't make eye contact with the cheesecake Karel!

Monday was a well needed day off. I took my Food service mid-term in the morning, finished up my assignments to turn in later that afternoon and then walked to the Trek store (about 20 min. walk) to work from 4:30-7.

This morning I had a good interval tuesday. A little bit of everything this morning since my legs are a bit tired. But with watching the beginning of the tour on the treadmill TV this morning (Don't miss the tour today..it is a GREAT one of climbing! But we haven't watched the finish so don't tell me who wins!) I was entertained for all of my run.
10 min warm-up at 7.3 mph
5 x 50 sec at 8.5mph w/ 10 sec recovery
5 min run at 7.6 mph
5 x 30 sec at 9mph w/ 30 sec recovery at 7.7mph
5 min run at 7.6 mph
4 x 90 sec at 8.8 mph w/ 30 sec recovery at 7.6mph
2 min run at 7.7 mph
4 x 60 sec at 9mph w/ 30 sec recovery at 7.6mph
4 min run at 7.7mph
Total: 51 min, 7 miles

I did a few weights to give my heart a break from pounding and then headed down to the pool. I love my outdoor pool!

500 warm-up swim, 200 kick.
4 x (50 easy, 50 fast, 100 easy, 100 fast). cycle for 50's:50 sec, cycle for 100's 1:50.
Nice and easy, plenty of rest. 2000 yards with warm-down.

Phew...I'm tired just typing all of that!