Skip to main content

Interval tuesday is BACK!

Ok, so I've been doing my intervals but my consistency of blogging about them hasn't been up to par.
On mon morning I prepared for my talk by walking on the treadmill for 50 min and practicing my talk in my head. Then to the pool for a 1500 swim to think about my talk some more.
Although I was nervous (as usual) the talk went great! After the talk last night at the trek store I was super motivated to train. There was around 23 people at the talk and the crowd asked some great questions. A lot of nutrition products (Hammer) were sold at a discount after the talk and I passed around my card. I received a number of emails this morning and I'm so glad that I impacted the people at my talk. There is nothing more that I love to do than to talk about nutrition and educate. I feel my take on nutrition is different from a lot of exercise physiologists and dietitians. I try to merge the physiology of the body with nutrition so that I can see food as fuel.
The best part of the talk was the beginning where Karel introduced me. This clinic was all about teamwork and I could not have had the opportunity to speak without karel. As the manager of the Trek store, Karel is always looking for more ways to bring people to the store. Besides good customer service, all the guys at the store are always looking out for the best interest in the customer. It isn't just about selling bikes. So for karel to want to put on a nutrition clinic, I jumped on the opportunity. Karel doesn't like talking in front of people, whereas the more the better for me. So a BIG thanks to Karel for introducing me and for the other Trek boys to stick around for my talk.
Karel and I got a ride home from the shop last night since we both rode our bikes to the shop and the rain was non-stop all during my talk and afterwards. When we got home karel was immersed in the Tour while I put on my headphones and studied on the computer. It was a late night for us but just another busy day for me.
This morning I set my alarm at 6:15am and I was up quickly. I made my coffee and then got dressed. I kissed karel good bye and I was out the door at 6:30am. I made my drive the Y (I am now a Brooks YMCA member!) for my interval tuesday run.
I got on my treadmill, plugged in my headphones so I could watch MTV as I run my legs off and started my run. To avoid my bonking experience from last week I decided to opt out of the bottle of water and I had a bottle of aminos for this workout. This totally did the trick because i felt amazing during the workout. Only around 15 calories and those aminos did the trick.
Here's the workout:
10 min warm-up
5 x 45 sec at 8.5 mph
8 x 90 sec at 9.0 mph w/ 30 sec recovery
6 x 45 sec at 9.5 mph w/ 15 sec recovery
4 x 20 sec at 9.8 mph w/ 10 sec recovery
Total workout: 50 min, 7.2 miles
I did about 3-4 min of recovery at 7.8-8mph in between each set and that recovery speed felt so much easier than the warm-up at 7.5mph.

I was so sweaty after the workout but felt so great. I did a few arm exercises and some abs and then headed to the pool. I was a little pressed for time since I needed to be out the door of the Y at 9:00am but I ended up with a 2200 swim.
500 warm-up
4 x 100 drill
2 x 400 swim
300 pull
100 kick
100 warm-up

I had to get to Jacksonville University at 9:30 where I am being mentored for my school Food service course. This is part of my online dietetic program so I have to observe a food service facility. I am observing the university cafeteria where I am learning a lot. Although I wish there were better food choices (now i know why people gain the freshman 15...or 25) the facility is top notch, clean and good with lots of healthy food choices (in addition to the fries and other fried food).

Well, back to work here. So much to do and the hours just fly by. I am looking forward to the weekend because this is Karel and I's last free weekend until mid Aug. We have races coming up and a trip to Dunedin (wedding stuff) in the beginning of Aug. Same old stuff here for me...super busy and trying to find time for everything!