Skip to main content

4th of July


What a great 3-day weekend...so far. One more day to go but with my parents gone and school work to be done, boo for sunday.

My parents came in on thurs and it was so good to see them. However, they brought their cats so we had an angry house. Princess Smudla (hence the pink collar) was not very happy but she did very well with the two boys (midnight and rugby) in the house.


Friday morning Karel and I met the Open Road group ride and rode with them for 30 miles. It was a quick 30-miles as we averaged around 24-25 mph. I found myself making my way to the front in a single file line and with 3 guys to go, Karel rode up and told me we had to turn around. Phew...relief. I knew I couldn't keep that pace and I was just surprised I was staying on a wheel. On the way home, Karel pulled me in headwind and my legs never stopped pedaling. One of the downsides to riding on flats all the time. The roads were clear of cars which was great and I was really amazed that i could keep up with Karel. We were averaging around 20-21mph in headwind and I couldn't believe that Karel was not slowing down and still pulling me. I was really proud of myself for my ride on tired running legs and the blueberry pancakes w/ raisins I made tasted soooo good. We were back with 57 miles before 9:30am.
After we had our breakfast we got ready and headed to the movies. Something Karel and I NEVER do but we had a great time watching Get Smart. I love laughing so with Steve Carrell in a movie (from my favorite show The Office) Karel, my parents and I had a great time. Funny movie.
After the movie, time for lunch. Karel took a mini nap and I spent time with my mom talking wedding stuff. My dad enjoyed watching the fish.
We headed to San Marco which is a bridge away from Jacksonville and just 10 miles from our place. We had a yummy dinner at a Bistro restaurant and I had a great veggie wood-fired pizza. This was more like a salad on bread (two of my favorite things). The pizza had sweet onions, pesto, spinach, tomatoes and I substituted mushrooms for the shrimp that came with the pizza. YUMMM.
After dinner we headed to the water to watch fireworks. It was hard just waiting for the fireworks but we occupied ourselves by playing UNO. Karel and I got a little competitive but we were good sports. I think I won but we finished with both Karel and I winning a round. The fireworks were AWESOME at the Jacksonville Landing and it was worth the wait. We left at 10pm and I was in bed as soon as I got home.
This morning I ran for 1:28. My music kept me in a zone which was thinking about lots of stuff. Nothing serious, just thoughts of Marni.
I ran for 11.8 miles which gave me a super fast pace of around 7:30 min/miles which makes me feel great about the upcoming marathon in Dec. I wanted to call it a morning after the run when I walked in the door super hot and super sweaty but I do what I always do after a long run...spin my legs. Oh, it feels so good when I am finally finished with my morning of training.
After I cleaned myself up my mom, dad and I ran some errands looking at wedding stuff and then visited Karel at work. My parents loved the Trek store and my dad was picking up all the Treks and Cervelos trying to find the lightest bike. Of course, my dad thinks every bike needs a kick stand but I guess a light bike with a kick stand is important :) After my parents left at 3pm I headed to the Trek store to work for two hours. I almost sold a few bikes but I guess people weren't ready to spend the money yet. Oh well, hopefully they will come back.
I hope everyone had a great 4th of July.
Good luck to anyone racing tomorrow.....Kate kick some butt at Lake stevens!!!
Karel and I are enjoying the Tour which is already proving to be exciting.